Oab files not updating
The clients are using outlook in cached exchange mode, and I read that a manual download of the offline address book can be achieved by going to send and receive, then download address book. I then found this Microsoft article: Which describes setting a registry value that dictates how the OAB should function.I changed the value to this setting: 1 = The Offline Address Book uses the Download Full Items download mode. I then deleted all of the files as per the article. Has anyone else experienced this issue, or have any idea why it would occur?Exchange 2016 OAB After running into this issue, I fired up my Exchange 2016 RTM lab and I was able to reproduce the issue with a good copy and a failed and suspended copy of the database where the OAB generating mailbox is located.So this is not limited to Exchange 2013, but the architecture upon which it is based.I have an exchange 2010 environment, and clients running outlook 2007 with cached exchange mode turned on.An issue has been highlighted where several users are not in the global address list, its just two users in particular, who were created about 2 weeks ago, and they dont appear.We tried to fix this copy and were unable to do so with a reseed or a resume.
While most of the changes are advantageous, I ran into a chink in the armor while working with a customer who was having an issue with Exchange 2013 DAG replication.This is one of the most peculiar issues which was mentioned in one of the forums.It was about local global address list not updating error 0x80200049.We should also check to make sure we can update the OAB using Power Shell.So, first, check to see where the mailbox is: Which gives us this result: Then we can check and the database is mounted: Next we can try to update the files for the OAB.
Search for oab files not updating:
Check the OAB file location to confirm the dates on the files: The we can run this command (assuming you have one OAB): In the case of my client, the files never changed.